In the 1930s Avery Fisher hoped to improve upon existing radio technology so he began experimenting with audio design.
He put his new expertise in audio design to the test and founded Philharmonic Radio in 1937. He sold this successful in 1945 and started Fisher Radio.
At Fisher Radio, Avery developed high quality amplifiers, receivers and other stereo components. He developed the first amplifier made from transistors and first radio-phonograph. In the 60's he advanced stereo tuner design and developed his most successful component, the 500-C Stereophonic FM Multiplex Receiver. Over 100,000 were made and they are still sought after in the vintage audio market.
Avery Fisher sold Fisher Radio to Emerson in 1969.